Human Resources Advisor
Department: Human Resources
JYSK is one of the world’s leading, and fastest-growing home furnishing retailers. First established in Denmark in 1979, JYSK operates retail stores which sell everything for your home throughout Europe and internationally and are now present in over 50 countries with 2,700 stores.
Although JYSK today is a global business, the company is managed based on its Scandinavian roots.
This reflects in JYSK’s company culture and the way it does business.
The first Canadian JYSK store was opened in Coquitlam, BC in 1996. Today, JYSK operates 62 stores across Canada, including locations in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, and Québec.
JYSK is seeking a talented Human Resources Advisor to join our Human Resources team on a permanent, full time basis. This position provides an exciting opportunity to get in on the ground floor of our newly-created Employment Practices team. This role is responsible for executing and evaluating human resources policies, programs and practices within their assigned client groups. The Human Resources Advisor will oversee these HR initiatives at the district level as well as ensuring execution within multiple stores in their assigned districts. (20-25 stores). In partnership with the Human Resources Director, you will design, develop, implement and sustain HR programs that support and differentiate our talent (Colleague) base as a competitive advantage within the retail industry.
The Right Candidate:
- Has experience in a Business Partner/HR Consultant role, preferably in retail
- Can effectively (and respectfully) engage stakeholders in a variety of roles, demonstrating excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Able to demonstrate excellent judgment in managing complex problems, maintaining a high degree of confidentiality always
- Comfortable working in a rapidly-changing environment where priorities change
- Reliable; able to work independently, and as part of a remote team
- Is Bilingual: English and French (written and spoken) would be considered an asset
- Willing to travel throughout province and nationally - Valid driver’s license required
- Develops strong, sustained working relationships with District Managers, Area Managers and Store Management to support the completion of HR programs and processes including: colleague (employee) relations, performance management, compensation planning and succession planning
- Identifies root cause issues and solutions; provides advice, coaching and case management for colleague-related issues such as: workplace investigations, disciplinary procedures, performance management and attendance management. Prepares summaries and recommendations as required
- Responds to Colleague escalated inquiries regarding policies and procedures
- Keeps up-to-date with employment law, legislative change, and other major events/matters to inform HR policies and procedures.
- Collaborates with DMs and SMs as they complete annual review process, providing relevant feedback to ensure a “balanced scorecard” approach to Colleague ratings
- Fields, investigates and resolves Colleague escalated issues, concerns, and complaints
- In partnership with our HR Analytics team, tracks and maintains employee relations metrics and reporting, to identify trends, and measure performance
- In partnership with the Operations Team, participates in and supports store expansion projects
- Represents the HR perspective with respect, strength and balance on all strategic and operational issues
- Monitors trends in employment practices in assigned Districts and advise the Human Resources Leadership Team (HRLT) on appropriate action(s)
- Works collaboratively with key stakeholders to assess the impact of policy and programs and makes recommendations to address areas of inconsistency
- Contributes to the design and delivery of HR-related learning and talent development programs, working with and seeking input from other teams, as required
- Assist in the development of the strategy, goals and objectives for the Colleague Relations function that align with Department and Corporate strategy
HR Projects, Policies and Procedures:
- Executes the design and delivery of policies and procedures across the organization
- Liaises and collaborates with the Human Resources Leadership Team on the interpretation of JYSK Canada policies, alignment of strategies and business needs
- Solicits feedback regarding existing programs and services and seeks input for the development of new programs and services
- Contributes constructively to the development of HR processes and systems that are aligned across the company
- Develops and facilitates training programs and meetings as required
- Participates in HR projects (e.g., job evaluations, orientation of new staff, Colleague recognition, exit interviews, Colleague surveys) as required
- Liaises with provincial regulatory agencies (WCB, WSIB, CNESST, etc.) in your assigned District(s)
- Partners with stores in the submission of claims to regulatory agencies in your assigned District(s)
- Acts as a subject matter expert and single point of contact for all disability management matters
- Works with Colleagues, Management and Medical Practitioner(s) to facilitate proactive and respectful return-to-work (RTW) plans
- As a change ambassador, models and reinforces resilience, adaptability and respect
- Provides subject matter expertise to DMs and SMs; aiding them in the creation of District and Store engagement action plans, respectively
- Champion benefits of our Colleague Assistance Program (CAP program) to increase overall organizational wellness
- Completes annual employment practices audits (1 per store/per year.)
- Provides counsel as DMs and SMs create employment practices audit action plans
- Provides annual feedback for audit updates regarding ESA or OH&S changes in your provinces as well as feedback addressing concerns or compliance issue within operations
Role Experience Requirements:
- Has a minimum of 2 years’ experience in an Employee Relations (HR) capacity
- Has a minimum of 1 year experience managing medical leave absences with knowledge/familiarity of policies relating to medical leave administration, Duty to Accommodate, Privacy Act, Employment Standards and Human Rights Code
- Post-secondary education in Human Resources, Labour Relations and/or Business
- Completion of Disability Management Certificate will be considered an asset
- Working knowledge and/or expertise with HRIS software and databases
What We Offer
- Opportunities for Learning & Career Advancement
- Unique opportunity to provide input into the Human Resources strategic plan
- Competitive Annual Salary
- Staff Discount
Please note: reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
More Great Information!
- Thanks for your interest in JYSK! Due to a high volume of applications, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
- If you haven't done so already, please follow us on Twitter for the latest career opportunities at JYSK: https://twitter.com/JyskCANCareers
Best of luck with your search! Follow us online for MORE opportunities!
JYSK Canada is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. This principle applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, selection, transfer, promotion and all other conditions of employment. As a company, we have developed l programs and policies that address and recognize our objective to ensure that our work environment remains free of discrimination and harassment of any kind and promotes and recognizes the diverse backgrounds of our Colleagues. JYSK Canada will accommodate both internal and external applications throughout the hiring process.
All employment decisions at JYSK are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, family status, disability or a conviction for which a pardon has been granted or a record suspended. We consider all applications on the basis of individual qualification for the particular position and we do so without regard to any unrelated factor and/or characteristic.
JYSK Canada is committed to the value of equal employment opportunity for all Colleagues and the innovation that diversity creates in the work environment. We welcome and encourage applications from individuals with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the hiring process.