Health and Safety Specialist
Département: Ressources Humaines
JYSK is one of the world’s leading, and fastest-growing home furnishing retailers. First established in Denmark in 1979, JYSK operates retail stores which sell everything for your home throughout Europe and internationally and are now present across 52 countries with over 2,800 stores.
Although JYSK today is a global business, the company is managed based on its Scandinavian roots.
This reflects in JYSK’s company culture and the way it does business.
The first Canadian JYSK store was opened in Coquitlam, BC in 1996. Today, JYSK operates 61 stores across Canada, including locations in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, and Québec.
JYSK is seeking an enthusiastic Health and Safety Specialist to join our Human Resources team on a permanent, full time basis. Reporting to the Director, HR, this role is accountable for working closely with all levels of management and employees within store operations, distribution centers and office environments to ensure safe work practices and policies. These functions include, but may not be limited to, the assessment, facilitation and evaluation of injury prevention, environmental safety, occupational health and safety, employee education, and the development, implementation and consultation on safety programs. This role is based out of our Head Office in Coquitlam, BC Canada.
- Plan, develop, implement, coordinate, evaluate, and update JYSK’s occupational health and safety policies, procedures and programs
- Develop annual health and safety plans for the company based on a full review of health and safety-related needs (assessment of hazards, audits, changing legislation and best practices) as required
- Eliminate risks causing workplace incidents and injuries; identify trends and areas of improvement, communicate with management and address findings/issues
- Update and maintain safety orientation and training for all new employees to ensure complete and effective understanding of potential risks and expected behaviors within the workplace.
- Assist in representing management in matters of health and safety with the government, health and safety associations and other outside agencies and organizations
- Provide executive with reports on WSIB/WCB/CNESST incidents and injuries, lost time injuries, health-related absenteeism and other occupational health and safety information
- Investigate accidents thoroughly and effectively, and then respond appropriately as required, including communicating to, training and following up with supervisors and employees
- Liaise with WSIB/WCB/CNESST and insurance providers on all claims, including managing appeals where appropriate
- Develop and manage the COR Audit program across Canada. Educate and influence store leadership teams to develop a health and safety culture in their stores. Train employees to maintain health and safety standards every store.
- Develop a matrix for training requirements, maintain records of all health and safety-related training and assist in the development of rollout programs
- Coordinate inspections, investigations, and occupational health and safety activities within various departments
- Ensure the documentation and retention of all health and safety-related records for the prescribed time limits
- Perform other related duties as required
- Degree, Diploma or Certification from a recognized Occupational Health & Safety program, in the process of obtaining certification or an equivalent combination of experience and training.
- 5 – 7 years’ experience in a similar role.
- Proven knowledge of, and experience with, applicable occupational health and safety and employment standards legislation, and best practices
- Demonstrated skills in developing and maintaining records of safety activities and performance for quality improvement, risk management and other reporting requirements
- Experience with COR certification or similar safety certification
- Excellent leadership skills, with demonstrated ability to establish priorities and meet deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to influence leaders and employees
- First Aid Certificate is required
- Working knowledge of disability management is an asset
- Driver’s license in good standing with the ability to travel across Canada
- Must be authorized to work in Canada
What We Offer
- Opportunities for Learning & Career Advancement
- Unique opportunity to provide input into the Human Resources strategic plan
- Competitive Annual Salary
- Staff Discount
More Great Information!
- Thanks for your interest in JYSK! Due to a high volume of applications, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
- If you haven't done so already, please follow us on Twitter for the latest career opportunities at JYSK: https://twitter.com/JyskCANCareers
Best of luck with your search! Follow us online for MORE opportunities!
JYSK Canada is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. This principle applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, selection, transfer, promotion and all other conditions of employment. As a company, we have developed l programs and policies that address and recognize our objective to ensure that our work environment remains free of discrimination and harassment of any kind and promotes and recognizes the diverse backgrounds of our Colleagues. JYSK Canada will accommodate both internal and external applications throughout the hiring process.
All employment decisions at JYSK are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, family status, disability or a conviction for which a pardon has been granted or a record suspended. We consider all applications on the basis of individual qualification for the particular position and we do so without regard to any unrelated factor and/or characteristic.
JYSK Canada is committed to the value of equal employment opportunity for all Colleagues and the innovation that diversity creates in the work environment. We welcome and encourage applications from individuals with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the hiring process.